"We"re going to play elephants and circuses," - said a little boy at kindergarten, "Do you want to join in?"
"I"d love to," - replied the teacher. "What do you want me to do?"
"You can be the lady that feeds us peanuts!"
n. (us tire) rubber covering, usu. Inflated, placed round a wheel to form a soft contact with the road. [var. Of *tire2]
var. Of *tiro.
n. (pl. -ies) 1 grey or brownish cat with dark stripes.
- a kind of watered silk. [french from arabic]
n. Pair of small drums played with the hands, esp. In indian music. [arabic, = drum]
d'hôte n. (often attrib.) Meal from a set menu at a fixed price. [french, = host's table]
- licence n. Licence to serve alcoholic drinks with meals only.
- linen n. Tablecloths, napkins, etc.
- talk n. Informal talk at table.
- tennis n. Indoor ball game played with small bats on a table divided by a net.
- wine n. Wine of ordinary quality.
- —n. - flat surface on a leg or legs, used for eating, working at, etc.
- a food provided in a household (keeps a good table). B group seated for dinner etc.
- a set of facts or figures in columns etc. (table of contents). B matter contained in this. C = *multiplication table. —v. (-ling) 1 bring forward for discussion etc. At a meeting.
- esp. Us postpone consideration of (a matter). at table taking a meal at a table. On the table offered for discussion. Turn the tables (often foll. By on) reverse circumstances to one's advantage (against). Under the table colloq. - very drunk.
(also tabu) —n. (pl. -s) 1 ritual isolation of a person or thing as sacred or accursed.
- prohibition imposed by social custom. —adj. Avoided or prohibited, esp. By social custom (taboo words). —v. (-oos, -ooed or -us, -ued) 1 put under taboo.
- exclude or prohibit, esp. Socially. [tongan]
n. Hist. Small drum, esp. Used to accompany a pipe. [french]
n. (pl. -s) colloq. = *tachometer. [abbreviation]
adj. Understood or implied without being stated (tacit consent). tacitly adv. [latin taceo be silent]
adj. (-ier, -iest) slightly sticky. tackiness n. [from *tack1]
- adj. (-ier, -iest) colloq. - in poor taste, cheap.