abbr. Technical and vocational educational initiative.
archaic it was. [contraction]
n. Coarse slang 1 female genitals.
- contemptible person. [origin unknown]
adj. (tweer; tweest) derog. Affectedly dainty or quaint. [a childish pronunciation of *sweet]
n. Very small thin branch of a tree or shrub. twiggy adj. [old english]
- v. (-gg-) colloq. Understand; realize. [origin unknown]
bed n. Each of a pair of single beds. twin-bedded adj.
- set n. Woman's matching cardigan and jumper.
- town n. Town twinned with another.
- —n. - each of a closely related or associated pair, esp. Of children or animals born at a birth.
- exact counterpart of a person or thing.
- (the twins) zodiacal sign or constellation gemini. —adj. Forming, or being one of, such a pair (twin brothers). —v. (-nn-) 1 a join intimately together. B (foll. By with) pair.
- bear twins.
- link (a town) with one in a different country, for friendship and cultural exchange. twinning n. [old english: related to *two]
n. Slang foolish person. [originally dial., perhaps from *twit2]
- v. (-tt-) reproach or taunt, usu. Good-humouredly. [old english]
n. (also tike) 1 unpleasant or coarse man.
- small child. [old norse]
—n. - sort, class, or kind.
- person, thing, or event exemplifying a class or group.
- (in comb.) Made of, resembling, or functioning as (ceramic-type material; cheddar-type cheese).
- colloq. Person, esp. Of a specified character (a quiet type; not my type).
- object, conception, or work of art, serving as a model for subsequent artists.
- printing a piece of metal etc. With a raised letter or character on its upper surface for printing. B kind or size of such pieces (printed in large type). C set or supply of these (ran short of type). —v. (-ping) 1 write with a typewriter.
- esp. Biol. & med. Assign to a type; classify. [greek tupos impression]
n. (pl. -s) colloq. Typographical error. [abbreviation]