A man went to the Police Station wishing to speak with the burglar who had broken into his house the night before.
"You"ll get your chance in court," said the sergeant.
"No, no no!" said the man. "I want to know how he got into the house without waking my wife. I"ve been trying to do that for years!"
- cost or damage caused by a disaster etc. take its toll be accompanied by loss, injury, etc.
- —v. - a (of a bell) sound with slow uniform strokes. B ring (a bell) in this way. C (of a bell) announce or mark (a death etc.) In this way.
- strike (the hour). —n. - tolling.
- stroke of a bell. [(now dial.) Toll entice, pull, from an old english root]
n. - burial-vault.
- sepulchral monument. [greek tumbos]
n. Heavy book or volume. [greek temno cut]
poem n. Orchestral composition with a descriptive or rhapsodic theme.
- —n. - musical or vocal sound, esp. With reference to its pitch, quality, and strength.
- (often in pl.) Modulation of the voice expressing a particular feeling or mood (a cheerful tone).
- manner of expression in writing or speaking.
- mus. A musical sound, esp. Of a definite pitch and character. B interval of a major second, e.g. C–d.
- a general effect of colour or of light and shade in a picture. B tint or shade of a colour.
- prevailing character of the morals and sentiments etc. In a group.
- proper firmness of the body.
- state of good or specified health. —v. (-ning) 1 give the desired tone to.
- modify the tone of.
- (often foll. By to) attune.
- (foll. By with) (esp. Of colour) be in harmony with. tone down make or become softer in tone. Tone up make or become stronger in tone. toneless adj. Tonelessly adv. Toner n. [greek tonos from teino stretch]