- having, or done in, bad taste. tastelessly adv. Tastelessness n.
n. (pl. -ies) repetition using different words, esp. As a fault of style (e.g. Arrived one after the other in succession). tautological adj. Tautologous adj. [greek tauto the same]
n. Art of preparing, stuffing, and mounting the skins of animals. taxidermist n. [greek taxis arrangement, derma skin]
n. Automatic fare-indicator fitted to a taxi. [french: related to *tax]
adj. - of the mechanical arts and applied sciences (technical college).
- of a particular subject or craft etc. Or its techniques (technical terms).
- (of a book or discourse etc.) Using technical language; specialized.
- due to mechanical failure (technical hitch).
- strictly or legally interpreted (lost on a technical point). technically adv.
- knockout n. Ruling by the referee that a boxer has lost because he is not fit to continue.
n. - mechanical skill in art.
- skilful manipulation of a situation, people, etc.
- manner of artistic execution in music, painting, etc. [french: related to *technic]
n.pl. (usu. Treated as sing.) Study of the earth's large-scale structural features (see *plate tectonics).
—n. (often attrib.) Device or system for transmitting messages or signals to a distance, esp. By making and breaking an electrical connection (telegraph wire). —v. - (often followed by to) send a message by telegraph to.
- send or communicate by telegraph (telegraphed my concern).
- give advance indication of (telegraphed his punch). telegraphist n.
n. Process of recording the readings of an instrument and transmitting them by radio. telemeter n.