adj. - of or on the surface; lacking depth.
- swift or cursory (superficial examination).
- apparent but not real (superficial resemblance).
- (esp. Of a person) shallow. superficiality n. Superficially adv. [latin: related to *face]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 state of being superfluous.
- superfluous amount or thing. [latin fluo to flow]
adj. More than is needed or wanted; useless. [latin fluo to flow]
v. (-sing) (usu. Foll. By on) lay (a thing) on something else. superimposition n.
v. Supervise, direct. superintendence n.
—adj. - of the highest quality or degree; excellent.
- gram. (of an adjective or adverb) expressing the highest degree of a quality (e.g. Bravest, most fiercely). —n. - gram. Superlative form of an adjective or adverb.
- (in pl.) High praise; exaggerated language. [french from latin]
n. Large self-service store selling food, household goods, etc.
—adj. Written or printed above. —n. Superscript number or symbol. [latin scribo write]
n. Very large tanker ship.
n. - thing supposed.
- act of supposing.