Teacher asks the student:
"What is your aim in life?"
"To become a psychiatrist", the student replies.
"Very good", the teacher says, "Now would you please spell the word psychiatrist."
After some hesitation the student replies: "Well, I mean I want to be a doctor, sir. D-O-C-T-O-R."
v. (-ting) literary 1 petition humbly to (a person) or for (a thing).
- (foll. By to, for) make a petition. supplicant adj. & n. Supplication n. Supplicatory adj. [latin supplico]
attrib. Adj. Econ. Denoting a policy of low taxation etc. To encourage production and investment.
film n. (also supporting picture etc.) Less important film in a cinema programme.
adj. Providing (esp. Emotional) support or encouragement. supportively adv. Supportiveness n.
adv. Allegedly; as is generally believed.
adj. Never stumbling or making a mistake.
n. 20th-c. Movement in art and literature, attempting to express the subconscious mind by dream imagery, bizarre juxtapositions, etc. surrealist n. & adj. Surrealistic adj. Surrealistically adv. [french: related to *sur-1, *real1]
bridge n. Bridge with a roadway suspended from cables supported by towers.
- n. - suspending or being suspended.
- springs etc. Supporting a vehicle on its axles.
- substance consisting of particles suspended in a medium.
adj. - prone to or feeling suspicion.
- causing suspicion. suspiciously adv.
n. - nourishment, food.
- means of support. [anglo-french: related to *sustain]