adj. - like, alike.
- (often foll. By to) having a resemblance.
- geom. Shaped alike. similarity n. (pl. -ies). Similarly adv. [latin similis like]
adj. (sincerer, sincerest) 1 free from pretence.
- genuine, honest, frank. sincerity n. [latin]
n. Sleeveless vest. [after doublet]
fund n. Money set aside gradually for the eventual repayment of a debt.
adj. Having many curves; undulating. sinuosity n. [latin: related to *sinus]
n. Upper and choicer part of a loin of beef. [french: related to *sur-1, *loin]
n. (also scirocco) (pl. -s) 1 saharan simoom.
- warm sultry wind in s. Europe. [arabic sharuk]
—attrib. Adj. - (of a meal) eaten sitting at a table.
- (of a protest etc.) With demonstrators occupying their workplace or sitting down on the ground in a public place. —n. - spell of sitting.
- sit-down protest etc.
duck n. (also sitting target) colloq. Easy target.
- tenant n. Tenant occupying premises.
- —n. - continuous period spent engaged in an activity (finished the book in one sitting).
- time during which an assembly is engaged in business.
- session in which a meal is served. —adj. - having sat down.
- (of an animal or bird) still.
- (of an mp etc.) Current.
v. (-ting) (usu. In passive) 1 put in a certain position or circumstances.
- establish or indicate the place of; put in a context. [latin situo: related to *site]