Upon entering the little country store, the stranger noticed a sign saying "DANGER! BEWARE OF DOG!" posted on the glass door.
Inside he noticed a harmless old hound dog asleep on the floor beside the cash register.
He asked the store manager, "Is that the dog folks are supposed to beware of?"
"Yep, that"s him," he replied.
The stranger couldn"t help but be amused.
"That certainly doesn"t look like a dangerous dog to me. Why in the world would you post that sign?"
"Because," the owner replied, "before I posted that sign, people kept tripping over him."
n. State in which supreme power is held by the people or their elected representatives or by an elected or nominated president, not by a monarch etc. [latin res concern: related to *public]
v. Record again.
n. - roman emperor's or pope's written reply to an appeal for a decision.
- official edict or announcement. [latin rescribo -script- reply in writing]
and development n. Work directed towards the innovation, introduction, and improvement of products and processes.
- —n. (often attrib.) Systematic investigation and study of materials, sources, etc., in order to establish facts and reach conclusions. —v. Do research into or for. researcher n. [french: related to *search]
v. (-ling) be like; have a similarity to, or the same appearance as. [french sembler seem]
adj. - reticent; slow to reveal emotion or opinions; uncommunicative.
- set apart, destined for a particular use.
v. (-ling) settle again or elsewhere. resettlement n.
—n. - (often foll. By of) a permanent inhabitant. B non-migratory species of bird.
- guest in a hotel etc. Staying overnight. —adj. - residing; in residence.
- having quarters at one's workplace etc. (resident housekeeper).
- located in.
- (of birds etc.) Non-migratory.
—adj. Left as a residue or residuum. —n. Residual quantity.
n. (pl. -dua) 1 substance left after combustion or evaporation.