It was World War II, and the captain was attempting to rally the GIs on the eve of a big offensive.
"Out there," said the captain, "is your enemy. The man who has made your life miserable, who is working to destroy you; the man who has been trying to kill you day after day throughout this war."
Private Johnson jumped to his feet. "My God! The cook’s working for the Germans!"
n. State in which supreme power is held by the people or their elected representatives or by an elected or nominated president, not by a monarch etc. [latin res concern: related to *public]
v. Record again.
n. - roman emperor's or pope's written reply to an appeal for a decision.
- official edict or announcement. [latin rescribo -script- reply in writing]
and development n. Work directed towards the innovation, introduction, and improvement of products and processes.
- —n. (often attrib.) Systematic investigation and study of materials, sources, etc., in order to establish facts and reach conclusions. —v. Do research into or for. researcher n. [french: related to *search]
v. (-ling) be like; have a similarity to, or the same appearance as. [french sembler seem]
adj. - reticent; slow to reveal emotion or opinions; uncommunicative.
- set apart, destined for a particular use.
v. (-ling) settle again or elsewhere. resettlement n.
—n. - (often foll. By of) a permanent inhabitant. B non-migratory species of bird.
- guest in a hotel etc. Staying overnight. —adj. - residing; in residence.
- having quarters at one's workplace etc. (resident housekeeper).
- located in.
- (of birds etc.) Non-migratory.
—adj. Left as a residue or residuum. —n. Residual quantity.
n. (pl. -dua) 1 substance left after combustion or evaporation.