A man went to the Police Station wishing to speak with the burglar who had broken into his house the night before.
"You"ll get your chance in court," said the sergeant.
"No, no no!" said the man. "I want to know how he got into the house without waking my wife. I"ve been trying to do that for years!"
price n. Lowest acceptable price stipulated for an item sold at auction.
- —v. (-ving) 1 put aside, keep back for a later occasion or special use.
- order to be specially retained or allocated for a particular person or at a particular time.
- retain or secure (reserve the right to). —n. - thing reserved for future use; extra amount.
- limitation or exception attached to something.
- self-restraint; reticence; lack of cordiality.
- company's profit added to capital.
- (in sing. Or pl.) Assets kept readily available.
- (in sing. Or pl.) A troops withheld from action to reinforce or protect others. B forces in addition to the regular army etc., but available in an emergency.
- member of the military reserve.
- extra player chosen as a possible substitute in a team.
- land reserved for special use, esp. As a habitat (nature reserve). in reserve unused and available if required. Reserve judgement postpone giving one's opinion. [latin servo keep]
v. (-ping) shape or form again or differently.
n. - what is left over or remains; remainder.
- what remains of an estate after the payment of charges, debts, and bequests. [latin residuum: related to *residuum]
—v. (-ving) 1 make up one's mind; decide firmly (resolved to leave, on leaving).
- cause (a person) to do this (events resolved him to leave).
- solve, explain, or settle (a doubt, argument, etc.).
- (foll. By that) (of an assembly or meeting) pass a resolution by vote.
- (often foll. By into) (cause to) separate into constituent parts; analyse.
- (foll. By into) reduce by mental analysis into.
- mus. Convert or be converted into concord. —n. Firm mental decision or intention; determination. [latin: related to *solve]
v. - (often foll. By with) (of a place) ring or echo.
- (of a voice, instrument, sound, etc.) Produce echoes; go on sounding; fill a place with sound.
- a (of a reputation etc.) Be much talked of. B (foll. By through) produce a sensation.
- (of a place) re-echo (a sound). [latin: related to *sound1]
—n. - deferential esteem felt or shown towards a person or quality.
- (foll. By of, for) heed or regard.
- aspect, detail, etc. (correct in all respects).
- reference, relation (with respect to).
- (in pl.) Polite messages or attentions (give her my respects). —v. - regard with deference or esteem.
- a avoid interfering with or harming. B treat with consideration. C refrain from offending (a person, feelings, etc.). in respect of (or with respect to) as concerns. respecter n. [latin respicio -spect- look back at]
v. (past and past part. Respelt or respelled) spell again or differently, esp. Phonetically.
v. (-ring) 1 (also absol.) Breathe (air etc.); inhale and exhale.
- (of a plant) carry out respiration. respiratory adj.
n. - interval of rest or relief.
- delay permitted before the discharge of an obligation or the suffering of a penalty. [latin: related to *respect]
v. - answer, reply.
- act or behave in a corresponding manner.
- (usu. Foll. By to) show sensitiveness to by behaviour or change (does not respond to kindness).
- (of a congregation) make set answers to a priest etc. [latin respondeo -spons-]