price n. Lowest acceptable price stipulated for an item sold at auction.
- —v. (-ving) 1 put aside, keep back for a later occasion or special use.
- order to be specially retained or allocated for a particular person or at a particular time.
- retain or secure (reserve the right to). —n. - thing reserved for future use; extra amount.
- limitation or exception attached to something.
- self-restraint; reticence; lack of cordiality.
- company's profit added to capital.
- (in sing. Or pl.) Assets kept readily available.
- (in sing. Or pl.) A troops withheld from action to reinforce or protect others. B forces in addition to the regular army etc., but available in an emergency.
- member of the military reserve.
- extra player chosen as a possible substitute in a team.
- land reserved for special use, esp. As a habitat (nature reserve). in reserve unused and available if required. Reserve judgement postpone giving one's opinion. [latin servo keep]
v. (-ping) shape or form again or differently.
n. - what is left over or remains; remainder.
- what remains of an estate after the payment of charges, debts, and bequests. [latin residuum: related to *residuum]
—v. (-ving) 1 make up one's mind; decide firmly (resolved to leave, on leaving).
- cause (a person) to do this (events resolved him to leave).
- solve, explain, or settle (a doubt, argument, etc.).
- (foll. By that) (of an assembly or meeting) pass a resolution by vote.
- (often foll. By into) (cause to) separate into constituent parts; analyse.
- (foll. By into) reduce by mental analysis into.
- mus. Convert or be converted into concord. —n. Firm mental decision or intention; determination. [latin: related to *solve]
v. - (often foll. By with) (of a place) ring or echo.
- (of a voice, instrument, sound, etc.) Produce echoes; go on sounding; fill a place with sound.
- a (of a reputation etc.) Be much talked of. B (foll. By through) produce a sensation.
- (of a place) re-echo (a sound). [latin: related to *sound1]
—n. - deferential esteem felt or shown towards a person or quality.
- (foll. By of, for) heed or regard.
- aspect, detail, etc. (correct in all respects).
- reference, relation (with respect to).
- (in pl.) Polite messages or attentions (give her my respects). —v. - regard with deference or esteem.
- a avoid interfering with or harming. B treat with consideration. C refrain from offending (a person, feelings, etc.). in respect of (or with respect to) as concerns. respecter n. [latin respicio -spect- look back at]
v. (past and past part. Respelt or respelled) spell again or differently, esp. Phonetically.
v. (-ring) 1 (also absol.) Breathe (air etc.); inhale and exhale.
- (of a plant) carry out respiration. respiratory adj.
n. - interval of rest or relief.
- delay permitted before the discharge of an obligation or the suffering of a penalty. [latin: related to *respect]
v. - answer, reply.
- act or behave in a corresponding manner.
- (usu. Foll. By to) show sensitiveness to by behaviour or change (does not respond to kindness).
- (of a congregation) make set answers to a priest etc. [latin respondeo -spons-]