A man met his tailor in the street and stopped him.
"I quite forgot to pay for the suit which I have on now," he said. "Why didn"t you remind me?"
"I never ask a gentleman for money," the tailor replied.
"Then what do you do if he doesn"t pay?"
"Well, after some time I no longer think he is a gentleman and then I ask him."
—v. (-sing) (usu. Foll. By into) fall back or sink again (into a worse state after improvement). —n. Relapsing, esp. A deterioration in a patient's condition after partial recovery. [latin labor laps- slip]
adj. Connected, esp. By blood or marriage.
v. Learn again.
—v. (-sing) 1 (often foll. By from) set free; liberate, unfasten.
- allow to move from a fixed position.
- a make (information, a recording, etc.) Publicly available. B issue (a film etc.) For general exhibition. —n. - liberation from a restriction, duty, or difficulty.
- handle or catch that releases part of a mechanism.
- news item etc. Made available for publication (press release).
- a film or record etc. That is released. B releasing or being released in this way. [french relesser from latin relaxo *relax]
v. (-ving) 1 bring or give relief to.
- mitigate the tedium or monotony of.
- release (a person) from a duty by acting as or providing a substitute.
- (foll. By of) take (esp. A burden or duty) away from (a person). relieve one's feelings use strong language or vigorous behaviour when annoyed. Relieve oneself urinate or defecate. relieved adj. [latin relevo raise again, alleviate]
n. (pl. -s) = *relief 6. [italian rilievo: related to *relief]
v. (past and past part. -lit) light (a fire etc.) Again.
n.pl. - what remains after other parts have been removed or used etc.
- relics of antiquity, esp. Of buildings.
- dead body.
v. (-ies, -ied) marry again. remarriage n.
n. - small remaining quantity.
- piece of cloth etc. Left when the greater part has been used or sold. [french: related to *remain]
A dog"s sense of smell is one of the keenest in nature. If a pot of stew was cooking on a stove, a human would smell the stew, while the dog could smell the beef, carrots, peas, potatoes, spices, and all the other individual ingredients in the stew.