A musical director was having a lot of trouble with one drummer. He talked and talked and talked with the drummer, but his performance simply didn"t improve.
Finally, before the whole orchestra, he said, "When a musician just can"t handle his instrument and doesn"t improve when given help, they take away the instrument, and give him two sticks, and make him a drummer."
A stage whisper was heard from the percussion section: "And if he can"t handle even that, they take away one of his sticks and make him a conductor."
v. (past and past part. Reheard) hear (esp. A judicial case) again.
v. Heat again.
past and past part. Of *rehang.
—v. - put aside or send back as not to be used, done, or complied with etc.
- refuse to accept or believe in.
- rebuff or withhold affection from (a person).
- show an immune response to (a transplant) so that it fails. —n. Thing or person rejected as unfit or below standard. rejection n. [latin rejicio -ject- throw back]
v. - join together again; reunite.
- join (a companion etc.) Again.
- v. - say in answer, retort.
- reply to a charge or pleading in a lawsuit. [french rejoindre: related to *join]
v. (-ting) 1 narrate or recount.
- (usu. Foll. By to, with) connect (two things) in thought or meaning; associate.
- (foll. By to) have reference to.
- (foll. By to) feel connected or sympathetic to. [latin: related to *refer]
v. Relax severity, abandon a harsh intention, yield to compassion. [medieval latin lentus flexible]
n. Object surviving in its primitive form. [french relicte: related to *relic]
map n. Map indicating hills and valleys by shading etc. Rather than by contour lines alone.
- n. - a alleviation of or deliverance from pain, distress, anxiety, etc. B feeling accompanying such deliverance.
- feature etc. That diversifies monotony or relaxes tension.
- assistance (esp. Financial) given to those in special need or difficulty.
- a replacing of a person or persons on duty by another or others. B person or persons replacing others in this way.
- (usu. Attrib.) Thing supplementing another in some service (relief bus).
- a method of moulding, carving, or stamping in which the design stands out from the surface. B piece of sculpture etc. In relief. C representation of relief given by an arrangement of line, colour, or shading.
- vividness, distinctness (brings the facts out in sharp relief).
- (foll. By of) reinforcement (esp. The raising of a siege) of a place.
- esp. Law redress of a hardship or grievance. [french and italian: related to *relieve]
- road n. Road taking traffic around a congested area.