An English teacher wrote these words on the whiteboard: «woman without her man is nothing». The teacher then asked the students to punctuate the words correctly. The men wrote: «Woman, without her man, is nothing.»The women wrote: «Woman! Without her, man is nothing.»
v. (past and past part. Reheard) hear (esp. A judicial case) again.
v. Heat again.
past and past part. Of *rehang.
—v. - put aside or send back as not to be used, done, or complied with etc.
- refuse to accept or believe in.
- rebuff or withhold affection from (a person).
- show an immune response to (a transplant) so that it fails. —n. Thing or person rejected as unfit or below standard. rejection n. [latin rejicio -ject- throw back]
v. - join together again; reunite.
- join (a companion etc.) Again.
- v. - say in answer, retort.
- reply to a charge or pleading in a lawsuit. [french rejoindre: related to *join]
v. (-ting) 1 narrate or recount.
- (usu. Foll. By to, with) connect (two things) in thought or meaning; associate.
- (foll. By to) have reference to.
- (foll. By to) feel connected or sympathetic to. [latin: related to *refer]
v. Relax severity, abandon a harsh intention, yield to compassion. [medieval latin lentus flexible]
n. Object surviving in its primitive form. [french relicte: related to *relic]
map n. Map indicating hills and valleys by shading etc. Rather than by contour lines alone.
- n. - a alleviation of or deliverance from pain, distress, anxiety, etc. B feeling accompanying such deliverance.
- feature etc. That diversifies monotony or relaxes tension.
- assistance (esp. Financial) given to those in special need or difficulty.
- a replacing of a person or persons on duty by another or others. B person or persons replacing others in this way.
- (usu. Attrib.) Thing supplementing another in some service (relief bus).
- a method of moulding, carving, or stamping in which the design stands out from the surface. B piece of sculpture etc. In relief. C representation of relief given by an arrangement of line, colour, or shading.
- vividness, distinctness (brings the facts out in sharp relief).
- (foll. By of) reinforcement (esp. The raising of a siege) of a place.
- esp. Law redress of a hardship or grievance. [french and italian: related to *relieve]
- road n. Road taking traffic around a congested area.