n. W. Indian style of music with a strongly accented subsidiary beat. [origin unknown]
n. (also regime) 1 method or system of government.
- prevailing order or system of things.
- regimen. [french: related to *regimen]
n. - (after the name) reigning queen (elizabeth regina).
- law the crown (regina v. Jones). [latin, = queen: related to *rex]
n. - geographical area or division, having definable boundaries or characteristics (fertile region).
- administrative area, esp. In scotland.
- part of the body (lumbar region).
- sphere or realm (region of metaphysics). in the region of approximately. regional adj. Regionally adv. [latin rego rule]
professor n. Holder of a chair founded by a sovereign (esp. One at oxford or cambridge instituted by henry viii) or filled by crown appointment. [latin regius royal]
—v. (-tt-) 1 feel or express sorrow, repentance, or distress over (an action or loss etc.).
- acknowledge with sorrow or remorse (regret to say). —n. Feeling of sorrow, repentance, etc., over an action or loss etc. give (or send) one's regrets formally decline an invitation. [french regretter]
v. Grow again, esp. After an interval. regrowth n.
n. (usu. Foll. By a numeral) each of the numbers of a scale denoting temperature in a gas oven (cook at regulo 6). [regulo, propr. Term for a thermostatic gas oven control]
v. (past and past part. Rehung) hang again or differently.
—v. Put (old material) into a new form without significant change or improvement. —n. - material rehashed.