A boy is about to go on his first date, and is nervous about what to talk about. He asks his father for advice.
The father replies, "My son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."
The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for a long time, as the boy"s nervousness builds.
He remembers his father"s advice, and chooses the first topic.
He asks the girl, "Do you like spinach?"
She says "No," and the silence returns.
After a few more uncomfortable minutes, the boy thinks of his father"s suggestion and turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" Again, the girl says "No" and there is silence once again.
The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father"s advice and asks the girl the following question: "If you had a brother, would he like spinach?"
- poker n. Cultivated plant with spikes of usu. Red or yellow flowers.
v. (-ll-; us -l-) dial again.
v. (past redrew; past part. Redrawn) draw again or differently.
v. (-cing) 1 make or become smaller or less.
- (foll. By to) bring by force or necessity (to some undesirable state or action) (reduced them to tears; reduced to begging).
- convert to another (esp. Simpler) form (reduced it to a powder).
- convert (a fraction) to the form with the lowest terms.
- (foll. By to) bring, simplify, or adapt by classification or analysis (the dispute may be reduced to three issues).
- make lower in status or rank.
- lower the price of.
- lessen one's weight or size.
- weaken (is in a very reduced state). 10 impoverish. 11 subdue, bring back to obedience. 12 chem. A (cause to) combine with hydrogen. B (cause to) undergo addition of electrons. 13 a (in surgery) restore (a dislocated etc. Part) to its proper position. B remedy (a dislocation etc.) In this way. reducible adj. [latin duco bring]
v. (-es, -ed) echo repeatedly; resound.
n. - slang marijuana cigarette.
- thick double-breasted jacket. [from *reef2]
v. (-cing) put a new facing on (a building).
—v. Fill again. —n. - thing that refills, esp. Another drink.
- act of refilling. refillable adj.
v. (-ning) 1 free from impurities or defects.
- make or become more polished, elegant, or cultured.
camera n. Camera in which the viewed image is formed by a mirror, enabling the scene to be correctly composed and focused.
- —adj. - (of an action) independent of the will, as an automatic response to the stimulation of a nerve.
- (of an angle) exceeding 180°. —n. - reflex action.
- sign or secondary manifestation (law is a reflex of public opinion).
- reflected light or image. [latin: related to *reflect]