A boy is about to go on his first date, and is nervous about what to talk about. He asks his father for advice.
The father replies, "My son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."
The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for a long time, as the boy"s nervousness builds.
He remembers his father"s advice, and chooses the first topic.
He asks the girl, "Do you like spinach?"
She says "No," and the silence returns.
After a few more uncomfortable minutes, the boy thinks of his father"s suggestion and turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" Again, the girl says "No" and there is silence once again.
The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father"s advice and asks the girl the following question: "If you had a brother, would he like spinach?"
n. - copious natural stream of water flowing to the sea or a lake etc.
- copious flow (rivers of blood). sell down the river colloq. Betray or let down. [latin ripa bank]
—n. Nail or bolt for joining metal plates etc., with the headless end beaten out when in place. —v. (-t-) 1 a join or fasten with rivets. B beat out or press down the end of (a nail or bolt). C fix, make immovable.
- a (foll. By on, upon) direct intently (one's eyes or attention etc.). B (esp. As riveting adj.) Engross (a person or the attention). [french river fasten]
n. (pl. Same or -es) small freshwater fish of the carp family. [french]
—v. - a cook (food, esp. Meat) or (of food) be cooked in an oven or by open heat (roast chestnuts). B heat (coffee beans) before grinding.
- refl. Expose (oneself etc.) To fire or heat.
- criticize severely, denounce. —attrib. Adj. Roasted (roast beef). —n. - a roast meat. B dish of this. C piece of meat for roasting.
- process of roasting. [french rost(ir) from germanic]
hood n. Person who steals from the rich to give to the poor.
- n. - (also robin redbreast) small brown red-breasted bird.
- us red-breasted thrush. [pet form of robert]
n. - machine resembling or functioning like a human.
- machine automatically completing a mechanical process.
- person who acts mechanically. robotic adj. Robotize v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing). [czech]
adj. (-ier, -iest) of, like, or full of rock or rocks. rockiness n.
- adj. (-ier, -iest) colloq. Unsteady, tottering, unstable. rockiness n.
n. (pl. -s) 1 exhibition of cowboys' skills in handling animals.
- round-up of cattle on a ranch for branding etc. [spanish]
int. - your message has been received and understood (used in radio communication etc.).
- slang i agree. [from the name, code for r]
n. - dishonest or unprincipled person.
- joc. Mischievous person, esp. A child.
- (usu. Attrib.) Wild fierce animal driven away or living apart from others (rogue elephant).
- (often attrib.) Inexplicably aberrant result or phenomenon; inferior or defective specimen. [origin unknown]