n. - copious natural stream of water flowing to the sea or a lake etc.
- copious flow (rivers of blood). sell down the river colloq. Betray or let down. [latin ripa bank]
—n. Nail or bolt for joining metal plates etc., with the headless end beaten out when in place. —v. (-t-) 1 a join or fasten with rivets. B beat out or press down the end of (a nail or bolt). C fix, make immovable.
- a (foll. By on, upon) direct intently (one's eyes or attention etc.). B (esp. As riveting adj.) Engross (a person or the attention). [french river fasten]
n. (pl. Same or -es) small freshwater fish of the carp family. [french]
—v. - a cook (food, esp. Meat) or (of food) be cooked in an oven or by open heat (roast chestnuts). B heat (coffee beans) before grinding.
- refl. Expose (oneself etc.) To fire or heat.
- criticize severely, denounce. —attrib. Adj. Roasted (roast beef). —n. - a roast meat. B dish of this. C piece of meat for roasting.
- process of roasting. [french rost(ir) from germanic]
hood n. Person who steals from the rich to give to the poor.
- n. - (also robin redbreast) small brown red-breasted bird.
- us red-breasted thrush. [pet form of robert]
n. - machine resembling or functioning like a human.
- machine automatically completing a mechanical process.
- person who acts mechanically. robotic adj. Robotize v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing). [czech]
adj. (-ier, -iest) of, like, or full of rock or rocks. rockiness n.
- adj. (-ier, -iest) colloq. Unsteady, tottering, unstable. rockiness n.
n. (pl. -s) 1 exhibition of cowboys' skills in handling animals.
- round-up of cattle on a ranch for branding etc. [spanish]
int. - your message has been received and understood (used in radio communication etc.).
- slang i agree. [from the name, code for r]
n. - dishonest or unprincipled person.
- joc. Mischievous person, esp. A child.
- (usu. Attrib.) Wild fierce animal driven away or living apart from others (rogue elephant).
- (often attrib.) Inexplicably aberrant result or phenomenon; inferior or defective specimen. [origin unknown]