v. (-ting) 1 replace in a former position.
- restore (a person etc.) To former privileges. reinstatement n.
v. (-ting) say or do again or repeatedly. reiteration n.
n. What is said in reply; retort. [anglo-french: related to *rejoin2]
—adj. - devoted to religion; pious, devout.
- of or concerned with religion.
- of or belonging to a monastic order.
- scrupulous, conscientious. —n. (pl. Same) person bound by monastic vows. religiously adv. [latin religiosus: related to *religion]
n. (pl. -ies) esp. Relig. Receptacle for a relic or relics. [french reliquaire: related to *relic]
adj. (often foll. By to + infin.) Unwilling or disinclined. reluctance n. Reluctantly adv. [latin luctor struggle]
—n. - residue.
- remaining persons or things.
- number left after division or subtraction.
- copies of a book left unsold when demand has almost ceased. —v. Dispose of (a remainder of books) at a reduced price. [anglo-french: related to *remain]
v. (-ring) measure again.
v. (-cing) indulge in reminiscence.
n. - reduction of a prison sentence on account of good behaviour.
- remitting of a debt or penalty etc.
- diminution of force, effect, or degree (esp. Of disease or pain).
- (often foll. By of) forgiveness (of sins etc.). [latin: related to *remit]