As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife"s voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there"s a car going the wrong way on 280. Please be careful!"
"Heck," said Herman, "It"s not just one car. It"s hundreds of them!"
- momentary faint or sick feeling. [origin uncertain]
n. Physics component of elementary particles. [word used by joyce in finnegans wake (1939)]
- n. A kind of low-fat curd cheese. [german]
n. Liquid measure equal to a quarter of a gallon; two pints (0.946 litre). [latin quartus fourth]
v. - annul; reject as invalid, esp. By a legal procedure.
- suppress, crush. [french quasser from latin]
comb. Form 1 seemingly, not really.
- almost. [latin quasi as if]
bee n. - fertile female bee.
- woman who behaves as if she is the most important person in a group.
- mother n. Dowager who is mother of the sovereign.
- of the may n. = *may queen.
- —n. - (as a title usu. Queen) female sovereign.
- (in full queen consort) king's wife.
- woman, country, or thing pre-eminent of its kind.
- fertile female among ants, bees, etc.
- most powerful piece in chess.
- court-card depicting a queen.
- (the queen) national anthem when the sovereign is female.
- slang offens. Male homosexual.
- belle or mock sovereign for some event (queen of the may). —v. Chess convert (a pawn) into a queen when it reaches the opponent's side of the board. queenly adj. (-ier, -iest). Queenliness n. [old english]
—adj. - strange, odd, eccentric.
- shady, suspect, of questionable character.
- slightly ill; faint.
- slang offens. (esp. Of a man) homosexual. —n. Slang offens. Homosexual. —v. Slang spoil, put out of order. in queer street slang in difficulty, esp. In debt. Queer a person's pitch colloq. Spoil a person's chances. [origin uncertain]
v. - crush or put down (a rebellion etc.).
- suppress (fear etc.). [old english]
n. Hand-mill for grinding corn. [old english]
—n. (pl. -ies) 1 question.
- question mark or the word query as a mark of interrogation. —v. (-ies, -ied) 1 ask or inquire.
- call in question.
- dispute the accuracy of. [latin quaere imperative of quaero inquire]