A porter in a British hotel comes upon an American tourist impatiently jabbing at the button for the lift.
"Sir, the lift will be here in a moment."
"Lift? Lift?" replies the American. "Oh, you mean the elevator."
"No sir, here we call it a lift."
"Well, as it was invented in the United States, it’s called an elevator."
"Yes sir, but as the language was invented here, it’s called a lift."
Crossword puzzle help
List of words beginning with:
n. Hist. Stout pole 6–8 feet long, formerly used as a weapon.
n. 15th-c. Italian art. [italian, = 400, used for the years 1400–99]
adj. Doubtful as regards truth, quality, honesty, wisdom, etc.
adj. - lasting five years.
- recurring every five years. quinquennially adv. [latin quinquennis from quinque five, annus year] QUINTESSENCE
n. - (usu. Foll. By of) purest and most perfect form, manifestation, or embodiment of a quality etc.
- highly refined extract. quintessential adj. Quintessentially adv. [latin quinta essentia fifth substance (underlying the four elements)] QUADRILATERAL
—adj. Having four sides. —n. Four-sided figure.
—adj. - fourfold.
- of which four copies are made. —v. (-ting) multiply by four. QUALIFICATION
n. - accomplishment fitting a person for a position or purpose.
- thing that modifies or limits (statement had many qualifications). - qualifying or being qualified. qualificatory adj. [french or medieval latin: related to *qualify] QUARTERMASTER
n. - regimental officer in charge of quartering, rations, etc.
- naval petty officer in charge of steering, signals, etc. QUESTIONNAIRE
n. Formulated series of questions, esp. For statistical analysis. [french: related to *question]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".
The starfish is one of the only animals who can turn it"s stomach inside-out.