adj. - of the jewish passover.
- of easter. [hebrew pesah]
n. - process or means of passing; transit.
- = *passageway.
- liberty or right to pass through.
- journey by sea or air.
- transition from one state to another.
- short extract from a book, piece of music, etc.
- passing of a bill etc. Into law.
- duct etc. In the body. [french: related to *pass1]
n. - strong emotion.
- outburst of anger (flew into a passion).
- intense sexual love.
- a strong enthusiasm (passion for football). B object arousing this.
- (the passion) a suffering of christ during his last days. B gospel account of this. C musical setting of this. passionless adj. [latin patior pass- suffer]
- sunday n. Fifth sunday in lent.
adj. - acted upon, not acting.
- showing no interest or initiative; submissive.
- chem. Not active; inert.
- gram. Indicating that the subject undergoes the action of the verb (e.g. In they were seen). passively adv. Passivity n. [latin: related to *passion]
- resistance n. Non-violent refusal to cooperate.
- smoking n. Involuntary inhalation of others' cigarette smoke.
n. - private key to a gate etc.
n. Part of a horse's foot between fetlock and hoof. [french from latin]
n. Document prepared for copying etc. By pasting sections on to a backing.
n. Recreation, hobby. [from *pass1, *time]
—n. - grassland suitable for grazing.
- herbage for animals. —v. (-ring) 1 put (animals) to pasture.
- (of animals) graze. [latin: related to *pastor]
n. (pl. Patellae) kneecap. patellar adj. [latin, = pan, diminutive of patina: related to *paten]