n. Card-game for two players with a pack of 32 cards. [french]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 robbery of ships at sea.
- similar practice, esp. Hijacking.
- infringement of copyright etc. [related to *pirate]
—n. - a seafaring robber attacking ships. B ship used by pirates.
- (often attrib.) Person who infringes another's copyright or business rights or who broadcasts without official authorization (pirate radio station). —v. (-ting) reproduce (a book etc.) Or trade (goods) without permission. piratical adj. [latin pirata from greek]
n. (pl. Same) 1 constellation and twelfth sign of the zodiac (the fish or fishes).
- person born when the sun is in this sign. [latin, pl. Of piscis fish]
n. Drinking spree.
n. Female organs of a flower, comprising the stigma, style, and ovary. pistillate adj. [latin: related to *pestle]
n. Small handgun. [czech pist'al]
n. - sliding cylinder fitting closely in a tube in which it moves up and down, used in an internal-combustion engine to impart motion, or in a pump to receive motion.
- sliding valve in a trumpet etc. [italian: related to *pestle]
n. Deposit of sand, gravel, etc. Containing valuable minerals in particles. [american spanish]
adj. - calm; not easily excited or irritated.
- tranquil, serene. placidity n. Placidly adv. Placidness n. [latin placeo please]