n. (pl. -ies) 1 state or fact of being possible.
- thing that may exist or happen.
- (usu. In pl.) Capability of being used; potential (have possibilities). [latin posse be able]
adj. - that can be done or used.
- possible in practice. practicability n. [french: related to *practical]
adv. - virtually, almost.
- in a practical way.
n. Revolving cylindrical box inscribed with or containing prayers, used esp. By tibetan buddhists.
geol. —adj. Of the earliest geological era. —n. This era.
—v. (-ting) 1 hasten the occurrence of; cause to occur prematurely.
- (foll. By into) send rapidly into a certain state or condition (was precipitated into war).
- throw down headlong.
- chem. Cause (a substance) to be deposited in solid form from a solution.
- physics condense (vapour) into drops and so deposit it. —adj. - headlong; violently hurried (precipitate departure).
adj. - a of or like a precipice. B dangerously steep.
- = *precipitate adj.
adj. Of the first, chiefly theoretical, stage of a medical education.
v. (-ving) form (an idea or opinion etc.) Beforehand.
n. - former holder of an office or position with respect to a later holder.
- thing to which another has succeeded. [latin decessor: related to *decease]