adv. - completely; quite.
- in a perfect way.
v. (-ting) 1 make a hole or holes through; pierce.
- make a row of small holes in (paper etc.) So that a part may be torn off easily. perforation n. [latin perforo pierce through]
n. - a circumference or outline of a closed figure. B length of this.
- outer boundary of an enclosed area. [greek: related to *-meter]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 boundary of an area or surface.
- outer or surrounding region. [greek phero bear]
n. Apparatus with a tube and mirrors or prisms, by which an observer in a trench, submerged submarine, or at the back of a crowd etc., can see things otherwise out of sight. periscopic adj.
colloq. —adj. - confounded.
- freezing cold. —adv. Confoundedly.
adj. Lasting, or intended to last or function, indefinitely. permanence n. Permanency n. Permanently adv. [latin permaneo remain to the end]
- wave n. Long-lasting artificial wave in the hair.
adj. Capable of being permeated. permeability n. [related to *permeate]
adj. - lasting for ever or indefinitely.
- continuous, uninterrupted.
- colloq. Frequent (perpetual interruptions). perpetually adv. [latin perpetuus continuous]
- motion n. Motion of a hypothetical machine which once set in motion would run for ever unless subject to an external force or to wear.
v. (-ting) 1 subject (a person etc.) To hostility or ill-treatment, esp. On grounds of political or religious belief.
- harass, worry. persecution n. Persecutor n. [latin persequor -secut- pursue]