- (of a manner etc.) Fawning, unctuous, ingratiating. oiliness n.
var. Of *ok.
n. Tall, orig. African plant with long ridged seed-pods used for food. [west african native name]
—n. - event or object portending good or evil.
- prophetic significance (of good omen). —v. (usu. In passive) portend. [latin]
v. (-tt-) 1 leave out; not insert or include.
- leave undone.
- (foll. By verbal noun or to + infin.) Fail or neglect. [latin omitto omiss-]
comb. Form all. [latin omnis all]
—adv. - on one occasion only.
- at some point or period in the past.
- ever or at all (if you once forget it).
- multiplied by one. —conj. As soon as. —n. One time or occasion (just the once). all at once 1 suddenly.
- all together. At once 1 immediately.
- simultaneously. For once on this (or that) occasion, even if at no other. Once again (or more) another time. Once and for all (or once for all) in a final manner, esp. After much hesitation. Once (or every once) in a while from time to time. Once or twice a few times. Once upon a time at some unspecified time in the past. [originally genitive of *one]