- have as an origin; begin. origination n. Originator n.
n. Home for orphans.
v. (-ting) 1 (cause to) swing to and fro.
- vacillate; vary between extremes.
- (of an electric current) undergo high-frequency alternations. oscillation n. Oscillator n. [latin oscillo swing]
adj. Directly showing.
v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing) exclude from society; refuse to associate with. ostracism n. [greek (ostrakon potsherd, on which a vote was recorded in ancient athens to expel a powerful or unpopular citizen)]
—adv. - or else; in different circumstances (hurry, otherwise we'll be late).
- in other respects (is otherwise very suitable).
- in a different way (could not have acted otherwise).
- as an alternative (otherwise known as jack). —adj. (predic.) Different (the matter is quite otherwise). [old english: related to *wise2]
n. Secret dungeon with a trapdoor entrance. [french oublier forget]
pron. - a emphat. Form of *we or *us (we did it ourselves). B refl. Form of *us (we are pleased with ourselves).
- in our normal state of body or mind (not quite ourselves today). be ourselves see *oneself. By ourselves see by oneself.