n. Thing that obstructs progress. [latin obsto stand in the way]
v. - block up; make hard or impossible to pass along or through.
- prevent or retard the progress of. [latin obstruo obstruct- block up]
—n. - a special event or happening. B time of this.
- reason, need.
- suitable juncture, opportunity.
- immediate but subordinate cause. —v. Cause, esp. Incidentally. on occasion now and then; when the need arises. [latin occido occas- go down]
n. Poet. Or rhet. - (prec. By the) west.
- western europe.
- europe and america as distinct from the orient. [latin occidens -entis setting, sunset, west]
n. Person who occupies, esp. Lives in, a place etc. occupancy n. (pl. -ies). [latin: related to *occupy]
n. Person living in a house etc. As its owner or tenant.
n. Us = *milometer. [greek hodos way]
n. - contribution or gift, esp. Of money.
- thing offered as a sacrifice etc.
secrets n.pl. Confidential information involving national security.
- —adj. - of an office or its tenure.
- characteristic of officials and bureaucracy.
- properly authorized. —n. Person holding office or engaged in official duties. officialdom n. Officially adv.
adj. (of skiing) away from prepared ski runs.