One evening Sherlock Holmes was going along the street and suddenly saw a man down…
- It’s certain, this gentleman is very tired after work… or he is dead drunk… or he is after being with a woman, … — reflected Holmes. As it’s Sunday today, he can’t be coming back from work… At such a late hour all shops are closed, and he couldn’t buy alcohol. So he is coming back from a woman. But in this remote place there are only two women — Watson’s wife and mine. Consequently, as I’m coming back from Watson’s wife, …
- Watson, rascal, get up!!!
- (often foll. By against) do wrong; transgress. offender n. Offending adj. [latin offendo offens- strike against, displease]
n. - room or building used as a place of business, esp. For clerical or administrative work.
- room or area for a particular business (ticket office).
- local centre of a large business (our london office).
- position with duties attached to it.
- tenure of an official position (hold office).
- (office) quarters, staff, or collective authority of a government department etc. (foreign office).
- duty, task, function.
- (usu. In pl.) Piece of kindness; service (esp. Through the good offices of).
- authorized form of worship. [latin officium from opus work, facio fic- do]
n. More distant part of the sea in view. in the offing not far away; likely to appear or happen soon. [probably from *off]
adj. & adv. - out of tune.
- not quite fitting.
—n. - side-shoot from a plant serving for propagation.
- compensation, consideration or amount diminishing or neutralizing the effect of a contrary one.
- sloping ledge in a wall etc.
- bend in a pipe etc. To carry it past an obstacle.
- (often attrib.) Method of printing in which ink is transferred from a plate or stone to a rubber surface and from there to paper etc. (offset litho). —v. (-setting; past and past part. -set) 1 counterbalance, compensate.
- print by the offset process.
n. Can with a long nozzle for oiling machinery.
pension n. = *retirement pension. old-age pensioner n.
attrib. Adj. Involving or operated by only one man.
—attrib. Adj. Made or done as the only one; not repeated. —n. One-off occurrence, achievement, etc.
adj. Allowing movement, travel, etc., in one direction only.