- Snow Maiden, what has happened? It is the second day I see you walking waist naked…
- The matter is that my Father Frost has lost his beard…
- Well, what next?
- That is why I am walking naked , so that nobody can notice this fact…
n. Weasel-like carnivore with valuable fur. [dutch from french]
n. A kind of swallow, esp. The house-martin and sand-martin. [probably st martin, name of a 4th-c. Bishop]
—n. - a person killed for persisting in a belief. B person who suffers for a cause etc. C person who suffers or pretends to suffer to get pity etc.
- (foll. By to) colloq. Constant sufferer from (an ailment). —v. - put to death as a martyr.
- torment. martyrdom n. [greek martur witness]
—n. - wonderful thing.
- (foll. By of) wonderful example of (a quality). —v. (-ll-; us -l-) (foll. By at or that) feel surprise or wonder. [latin miror wonder at]
n. Person, animal, or thing supposed to bring luck. [provençal masco witch]
n. Musical drama with mime, esp. In the 16th and 17th c. [var. Of *mask]
n. Compact group of mountain heights. [french: related to *massive]
of ceremonies n. - person introducing speakers at a banquet or entertainers in a variety show.
- person in charge of a ceremonial or social occasion.
- of the rolls n. Judge who presides over the court of appeal.
- —n. - person having control or ownership (master of the house; dog obeyed his master; master of the hunt).
- captain of a merchant ship.
- male teacher.
- prevailing person.
- a skilled tradesman able to teach others (often attrib.: master carpenter). B skilled practitioner (master of innuendo).
- holder of a usu. Post-graduate university degree (master of arts).
- revered teacher in philosophy etc.
- great artist.
- chess etc. Player at international level. 10 original copy of a film, recording, etc., from which others can be made. 11 (master) title for a boy not old enough to be called mr. 12 archaic employer. —attrib. Adj. - commanding, superior (master hand).
n. - gum or resin from the mastic tree, used in making varnish.
- (in full mastic tree) evergreen tree yielding this.
- waterproof filler and sealant. [greek mastikhe]
n. (also mattins) (as sing. Or pl.) Morning prayer, esp. In the church of england. [latin matutinus of the morning]