—v. (-sing) make or become greater or more numerous. —n. - growth, enlargement.
- (of people, animals, or plants) multiplication.
- amount or extent of an increase. on the increase increasing. [latin cresco grow]
v. (-ting) 1 hatch (eggs) by sitting on them or by artificial heat.
- cause (micro-organisms) to develop.
- develop slowly. [latin cubo lie]
adj. (usu. Foll. By to) owing gratitude or money. indebtedness n. [french endette: related to *debt]
adj. - offending against decency.
- unbecoming; unsuitable (indecent haste). indecency n. (pl. -ies). Indecently adv.
- assault n. Sexual attack not involving rape.
- exposure n. Exposing one's genitals in public.
n. (pl. -men) hist. Ship engaged in trade with india or the east indies.
v. (-ting) (often foll. By that) 1 point out; make known.
- be a sign of; show the presence of.
- call for; require (stronger measures are indicated).
- state briefly.
- give as a reading or measurement.
- point by hand; use a vehicle's indicator (failed to indicate). indication n. [latin dico make known]
adj. Formal needy, poor. indigence n. [latin egeo need]
adj. - not going straight to the point.
- (of a route etc.) Not straight.
- a not directly sought (indirect result). B not primary (indirect cause). indirectly adv.
- object n. Gram. Person or thing affected by a verbal action but not primarily acted on (e.g. Him in give him the book).
- question n. Gram. Question in indirect speech.
- speech n. = *reported speech.
- tax n. Tax on goods and services, not on income or profits.
adj. Lazy; averse to exertion. indolence n. Indolently adv. [latin doleo suffer pain]
n. Component (in an electric circuit) having inductance.