The local sheriff was looking for a deputy, so Homer – who was not exactly the sharpest nail in the bucket – went in to try out for the job.
"Okay," the sheriff drawled, "Homer, what is 1 and 1?"
"11," he replied.
The sheriff thought to himself, "That"s not what I meant, but he"s right."
"What two days of the week start with the letter "T"?"
"Today and tomorrow."
He was again surprised that Homer supplied a correct answer that he had never thought of himself.
"Now Homer, listen carefully: Who killed Abraham Lincoln?"
Homer looked a little surprised himself, then thought really hard for a minute and finally admitted, "I don"t know."
"Well, why don"t you go home and work on that one for a while?"
So, Homer wandered over to the pool hall where his pals were waiting to hear the results of the interview. Homer was exultant.
"It went great! First day on the job and I"m already working on a murder case!"
n. Art technique of laying on paint thickly. [italian]
v. - charge with a crime against the state, esp. Treason.
- us charge (a public official) with misconduct.
- call in question, disparage. impeachable adj. Impeachment n. [french empecher from latin pedica fetter]
v. (-ll-; us -l-) endanger.
n. - force with which a body moves.
- driving force or impulse. [latin impeto assail]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 lack of piety or reverence.
- act etc. Showing this.
v. (-ging) (usu. Foll. By on, upon) 1 make an impact or effect.
- encroach. impingement n. [latin pango pact- fix]
adj. - not pious.
- wicked, profane.
—v. - (often foll. By in) insert or fix.
- (often foll. By in) instil (an idea etc.) In a person's mind.
- a insert (tissue etc.) In a living body. B (in passive) (of a fertilized ovum) become attached to the wall of the womb. —n. Thing implanted, esp. A piece of tissue. implantation n. [latin: related to *plant]
v. (-ding) (cause to) burst inwards. implosion n. [from *in-2: cf. *explode]