v. - create by thought, originate (a method, device, etc.).
- concoct (a false story etc.). inventor n. [latin invenio -vent- find]
v. - turn upside down.
- reverse the position, order, or relation of. [latin verto vers- turn]
v. - a (often foll. By in) apply or use (money), esp. For profit. B (foll. By in) put money for profit into (stocks etc.).
- (often foll. By in) devote (time etc.) To an enterprise.
- (foll. By in) colloq. Buy (something useful).
- a (foll. By with) provide or credit (a person etc. With qualities) (invested her with magical importance; invested his tone with irony). B (foll. By in) attribute or entrust (qualities or feelings) to (a person etc.) (power invested in the doctor).
- (often foll. By with, in) clothe with the insignia of office; install in an office. investor n. [latin vestis clothing]
—v. (-ting) 1 (often foll. By to, or to + infin.) Ask (a person) courteously to come, or to do something.
- make a formal courteous request for.
- tend to call forth unintentionally.
- a attract. B be attractive. —n. Colloq. Invitation. [latin invito]
v. (-king) 1 call on (a deity etc.) In prayer or as a witness.
- appeal to (the law, a person's authority, etc.).
- summon (a spirit) by charms etc.
- ask earnestly for (vengeance etc.). [latin voco call]
—adj. - directed towards the inside; going in.
- situated within.
- mental, spiritual. —adv. (also inwards) 1 towards the inside.
- in the mind or soul. [old english: related to *in, *-ward]
n. Any compound of iodine with another element or group.
n. - black crystalline element forming a violet vapour.
- solution of this as an antiseptic. [french iode from greek iodes violet-like]
v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing) convert or be converted into an ion or ions. ionization n.
adj. (also ironical) using or displaying irony. ironically adv.