Two cowboys come upon an Indian lying on his stomach with his ear to the ground. One of the cowboys stops and says to the other, "You see that Indian?"
"Yeah," says the other cowboy.
"Look," says the first one, "he’s listening to the ground. He can hear things for miles in any direction."
Just then the Indian looks up. "Covered wagon," he says, "about two miles away. Have two horses, one brown, one white. Man, woman, child, household effects in wagon."
"Incredible!" says the cowboy to his friend. "This Indian knows how far away they are, how many horses, what color they are, who is in the wagon, and what is in the wagon. Amazing!"
The Indian looks up and says, "Ran over me about a half hour ago."
- combined in higher valence or degree of oxidation (ferric; sulphuric). [latin -icus, greek -ikos]
abbr. Identification, identity (id card).
- contr. - i had.
- i should; i would.
- n. Person's inherited unconscious psychological impulses. [latin, = that]
Abbr. That is to say. [latin id est]
- see *-y2.
—conj. - introducing a conditional clause: a on the condition or supposition that; in the event that (if he comes i will tell him; if you are tired we can rest). B (with past tense) implying that the condition is not fulfilled (if i knew i would say).
- even though (i'll finish it, if it takes me all day).
- whenever (if i am not sure i ask).
- whether (see if you can find it).
- expressing a wish, surprise, or request (if i could just try!; if it isn't my old hat!; if you wouldn't mind?). —n. Condition, supposition (too many ifs about it). if only 1 even if for no other reason than (i'll come if only to see her).
- (often ellipt.) Expression of regret; i wish that (if only i had thought of it). [old english]
prefix assim. Form of *in-1, *in-2 before l.
contr. I am.
- prefix assim. Form of *in-1, *in-2 before b, m, or p.
- absentia adv. In (his, her, or their) absence. [latin]
- extremis adj. - at the point of death.
- in great difficulties; in an emergency. [latin]
- flagrante delicto adv. In the very act of committing an offence. [latin, = in blazing crime]
- loco parentis adv. (acting) for or instead of a parent. [latin]
- memoriam prep. In memory of (a dead person). [latin]
- re prep. = *re1. [latin]
- situ adv. In its proper or original place. [latin]
- symb. Indium.
- toto adv. Completely. [latin]
- vitro adv. (of biological processes) taking place in a test-tube or other laboratory environment. [latin, = in glass]
- —prep. - expressing inclusion or position within limits of space, time, circumstance, etc. (in england; in bed; in 1989; in the rain).
- a within (a certain time) (finished it in two hours).
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) added to: 1 adjectives, meaning ‘not’ (inedible; insane).
- nouns, meaning ‘without, lacking’ (inaction). [latin]
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) in, on, into, towards, within (induce; influx; insight; intrude). [from *in, or from latin in (prep.)]