abbr. Her (or his) majesty's government.
- abbr. Her (or his) majesty's government.
abbr. Her (or his) majesty's inspector (of schools).
- abbr. Her (or his) majesty's inspector (of schools).
abbr. Her (or his) majesty's ship.
- abbr. Her (or his) majesty's ship.
abbr. Higher national certificate.
- abbr. Higher national certificate.
abbr. Higher national diploma.
- abbr. Higher national diploma.
n. - flat heating surface with hotplates or burners, on a cooker or as a separate unit.
- flat metal shelf at the side of a fireplace for heating a pan etc. [perhaps var. Of *hub]
n. - v-shaped trough on a pole used for carrying bricks etc.
- portable receptacle for coal. [french hotte pannier]
—n. Long-handled tool with a blade, used for weeding etc. —v. (hoes, hoed, hoeing) weed (crops); loosen (earth); dig up with a hoe. [french from germanic]
—n. - castrated male pig.
- colloq. Greedy person. —v. (-gg-) colloq. Take greedily; hoard selfishly; monopolize. go the whole hog colloq. Do something completely or thoroughly. hoggish adj. [old english]
polloi n. The masses; the common people. [greek, = the many]