n. Casserole of meat and vegetables topped with potato.
—adj. - done or occurring every hour.
- reckoned hour by hour (hourly wage). —adv. - every hour.
n. (usu. Canopied) seat for riding on an elephant or camel. [urdu hawda]
n. Colloq. Glaring mistake.
n. Boisterous girl. [dutch heiden: related to *heathen]
n. - confused noise of talking.
- disturbance. [perhaps of irish origin]
n. Arrogant pride or presumption. hubristic adj. [greek]
—v. (-ling) 1 (often foll. By up) crowd together; nestle closely.
- (often foll. By up) curl one's body into a small space.
- heap together in a muddle. —n. - confused or crowded mass.
- colloq. Close or secret conference (esp. In go into a huddle). [perhaps from low german]
adv. - extremely (hugely successful).
- very much (enjoyed it hugely).
adj. - benevolent, compassionate.
- inflicting the minimum of pain.
- (of learning) tending to civilize. humanely adv. Humaneness n.
- killer n. Instrument for the painless slaughter of animals.