A friend was in front of me coming out of church one day, and the preacher was standing at the door as he always is to shake hands.
He grabbed my friend by the hand and pulled him aside. Pastor said, “You need to join the Army of the Lord!”
My friend said, “I’m already in the Army of the Lord, Pastor.”
Pastor questioned, “How come I don’t see you except at Christmas and Easter?”
He whispered back, “I’m in the Secret Service.”
n. (pl. -im or -s) jewish name for a non-jew. [hebrew, = people]
abbr. General post office.
arabic n. Gum exuded by some kinds of acacia.
- —n. - a viscous secretion of some trees and shrubs. B adhesive substance made from this.
- us chewing gum.
- = *gumdrop.
- = *gum arabic.
- = *gum-tree. —v. (-mm-) 1 (usu. Foll. By down, together, etc.) Fasten with gum.
- apply gum to. gum up colloq. Interfere with the smooth running of. [greek kommi from egyptian kemai]
- n. (usu. In pl.) Firm flesh around the roots of the teeth. [old english]
- n. by gum! Colloq. By god! [corruption of god]
dog n. Dog trained to retrieve game shot by sportsmen.
- —n. - weapon consisting of a metal tube from which bullets or other missiles are propelled with great force, esp. By a contained explosion.
- starting pistol.
- device for discharging insecticide, grease etc., in the required direction.
- member of a shooting-party.
- us gunman. —v. (-nn-) 1 a (usu. Foll. By down) shoot (a person) with a gun. B shoot at with a gun.
- go shooting.
- (foll. By for) seek out determinedly to attack or rebuke. go great guns colloq. Proceed vigorously or successfully. Stick to one's guns colloq. Maintain one's position under attack. [perhaps an abbreviation of the scandinavian woman's name gunnhildr, applied to cannon etc.]
—n. - the intestine.
- (in pl.) The bowel or entrails.
- (in pl.) Colloq. Personal courage and determination; perseverance.
- slang stomach, belly.
- (in pl.) A contents. B essence.
- a material for violin strings etc. B material for fishing-lines made from the silk-glands of silkworms.
- (attrib.) A instinctive (a gut reaction). B fundamental (a gut issue). —v. (-tt-) 1 remove or destroy the internal fittings of (a house etc.).
- remove the guts of (a fish). hate a person's guts colloq. Dislike a person intensely. [old english]
n. Slang = *governor 7. [abbreviation]
—n. - colloq. Man; fellow.
- effigy of guy fawkes burnt on 5 nov. —v. Ridicule. [guy fawkes, name of a conspirator]
- —n. Rope or chain to secure a tent or steady a crane-load etc. —v. Secure with a guy or guys. [probably low german]
n. Colloq. - gymnasium.
- gymnastics. [abbreviation]
n. - scottish celt.
- gaelic-speaking celt. [gaelic gaidheal]
—n. - a stick with an iron hook for landing large fish. B barbed fishing-spear.
- spar to which the head of a fore-and-aft sail is bent. —v. Seize (a fish) with a gaff. [provençal gaf hook]
- n. Slang blow the gaff reveal a plot or secret. [origin unknown]