A man went to the Police Station wishing to speak with the burglar who had broken into his house the night before.
"You"ll get your chance in court," said the sergeant.
"No, no no!" said the man. "I want to know how he got into the house without waking my wife. I"ve been trying to do that for years!"
n. Liquid food of oatmeal etc. Boiled in milk or water. [french from germanic]
adj. - a (of a voice) low and harsh. B (of a person) having a gruff voice.
- surly. gruffly adv. Gruffness n. [low german or dutch grof coarse]
—n. - low guttural sound made by a pig.
- similar sound. —v. - make a grunt.
- make a similar sound, esp. To express discontent.
- utter with a grunt. [old english, imitative]
n. Garment with inflatable pressurized pouches, worn by pilots and astronauts to enable them to withstand high acceleration. [g = gravity, *suit]
n. (pl. -s) 1 excrement of sea birds, used as manure.
- artificial manure, esp. That made from fish. [spanish from quechua]
—v. - (often foll. By from, against) watch over and defend or protect.
- keep watch by (a door etc.) To control entry or exit.
- supervise (prisoners etc.) And prevent from escaping.
- keep (thoughts or speech) in check.
- (foll. By against) take precautions. —n. - state of vigilance.
- person who protects or keeps watch.
- soldiers etc. Protecting a place or person; escort.
- official in general charge of a train.
- part of an army detached for some purpose (advance guard).
- (in pl.) (usu. Guards) body of troops nominally employed to guard a monarch.
- thing that protects (fire-guard).
- us prison warder.
- defensive posture or motion in boxing etc. be on (or keep or stand) guard keep watch. Off (or off one's) guard unprepared for some surprise or difficulty. On (or on one's) guard prepared for all contingencies. [germanic: related to *ward]
n. - edible pale orange fruit with pink flesh.
- tree bearing this. [spanish]
—v. - (often absol.) Estimate without calculation or measurement.
- form a hypothesis or opinion about; conjecture; think likely.
- conjecture or estimate correctly.
- (foll. By at) make a conjecture about. —n. Estimate, conjecture. i guess colloq. I think it likely; i suppose. [origin uncertain]
n. - person invited to visit another's house or to have a meal etc. At another's expense.
- person lodging at a hotel etc.
- outside performer invited to take part with a regular body of performers. [old norse]
—n. - person who leads or shows the way.
- person who conducts tours.
- directing principle.
- book with essential information on a subject, esp. = *guidebook.
- thing marking a position or guiding the eye.
- bar etc. Directing the motion of something.
- (guide) member of a girls' organization similar to the scouts. —v. (-ding) 1 act as guide to.
- be the principle or motive of. [french from germanic]