artichoke n. The partly edible head of the artichoke plant.
- n. - a (prec. By the) the earth. B spherical representation of it with a map on the surface.
- spherical object, e.g. A fish-bowl, lamp, etc. [latin globus]
n. - darkness; obscurity.
- melancholy; despondency. [origin unknown]
—n. (pl. -ies) 1 renown, fame; honour.
- adoring praise.
- resplendent majesty, beauty, etc.
- thing that brings renown, distinction, or pride.
- heavenly bliss and splendour.
- colloq. State of exaltation, prosperity, etc.
- halo of a saint etc. —v. (-ies, -ied) (often foll. By in) pride oneself. [latin gloria]
—n. - surface shine or lustre.
- deceptively attractive appearance.
- (in full gloss paint) paint giving a glossy finish. —v. Make glossy. gloss over seek to conceal, esp. By mentioning only briefly. [origin unknown]
- —n. - explanatory comment added to a text, e.g. In the margin.
- interpretation or paraphrase. —v. Add a gloss to (a text, word, etc.). [latin glossa tongue]
compartment n. Recess for small articles in the dashboard of a car etc.
- puppet n. Small puppet fitted on the hand and worked by the fingers.
- —n. - hand-covering for protection, warmth, etc., usu. With separate fingers.
- boxing glove. —v. (-ving) cover or provide with gloves. [old english]
v. - grind (the teeth).
- (of the teeth) strike together. [old norse]
n. - a dwarfish legendary spirit or goblin living underground. B figure of this as a garden ornament.
- (esp. In pl.) Colloq. Person with sinister influence, esp. Financial (gnomes of zurich). gnomish adj. [french]
adj. (-ier, -iest) pious, devout. godliness n.
concern n. Thriving business.
- —n. - act or process of going.
- a condition of the ground for walking, riding, etc. B progress affected by this. —adj. - in or into action (set the clock going).
- existing, available (there's cold beef going).
- current, prevalent (the going rate). get going start steadily talking, working, etc. Going on fifteen etc. Esp. Us approaching one's fifteenth etc. Birthday. Going on for approaching (a time, age, etc.). Going strong continuing vigorously. Going to intending to; about to. To be going on with to start with; for the time being. While the going is good while conditions are favourable.
int. Expressing surprise. [euphemism for *god]
- n. (pl. -ies) colloq. = *golliwog. [abbreviation]