- colloq. Extremely (filthy rich). filthily adv. Filthiness n.
n. Last movement or section of a piece of music or drama etc. [italian: related to *final]
n. - person who finds.
- small telescope attached to a large one to locate an object.
n. Showy dress or decoration. [from *fine1]
—n. - any of the terminal projections of the hand (usu. Excluding the thumb).
- part of a glove etc. For a finger.
- finger-like object or structure (fish finger).
- colloq. Small measure of liquor. —v. Touch, feel, or turn about with the fingers. get (or pull) one's finger out slang start to act. Lay a finger on touch, however slightly. Put one's finger on locate or identify exactly. fingerless adj. [old english]
n. Ornamental top or end of a roof, gable, etc. [anglo-french: related to *fine1]
—v. - a (often foll. By off) bring or come to an end or the end of; complete; cease. B (usu. Foll. By off) colloq. Kill; vanquish. C (often foll. By off, up) consume or complete consuming (food or drink).
- treat the surface of (cloth, woodwork, etc.). —n. - a end, last stage, completion. B point at which a race etc. Ends.
- method, material, etc. Used for surface treatment of wood, cloth, etc. (mahogany finish). finish up (often foll. By in, by) end (finished up by crying). Finish with have no more to do with, complete using etc. [latin finis end]
adj. - limited; not infinite.
- (of a part of a verb) having a specific number and person. [latin: related to *finish]
n. (in full finnan haddock) smoke-cured haddock. [findhorn, findon, in scotland]
adj. Of the group of peoples or languages related to the finns or finnish.