n. - bevelling of a wall at the sides of a window etc.
- opening in a parapet for a gun etc. embrasured adj. [french embraser splay]
v. - decorate (cloth etc.) With needlework.
- embellish (a narrative). embroiderer n. [anglo-french from germanic]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 sudden state of danger etc., requiring immediate action.
- a condition requiring immediate treatment. B patient with this.
- (attrib.) For use in an emergency. [medieval latin: related to *emerge]
—adj. That softens or soothes the skin, feelings, etc. —n. Emollient substance. [latin mollis soft]
n. Fee from employment, salary. [latin]
adj. - of or expressing emotions.
- especially liable to emotion.
- arousing emotion. emotionalism n. Emotionally adv.
v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing) (usu. Foll. By with) exercise empathy.
v. (also -ise) (-zing or -sing) put emphasis on, stress.
n. Disease of the lungs causing breathlessness. [greek emphusao puff up]
adj. (also empiric) based on observation, experience, or experiment, not on theory. empirically adv. Empiricism n. Empiricist n. [greek empeiria experience]