n. Part of a telephone etc. Applied to the ear.
n. Legal right of way or similar right over another's land. [french: related to *ease]
—adj. & adv. - in an eastern position or direction.
- (of a wind) from the east. —n. (pl. -ies) such a wind.
—adj. & adv. (also eastwards) towards the east. —n. Eastward direction or region.
—adj. Selecting ideas, style, etc., from various sources. —n. Eclectic person or philosopher. eclectically adv. Eclecticism n. [greek eklego pick out]
n. Sun's apparent path among the stars during the year.
adj. - of economics.
- profitable (not economic to run buses on a sunday).
- connected with trade and industry (economic geography). economically adv. [greek: related to *economy]
—adj. Having no or few teeth. —n. Such a mammal. [latin dens dent- tooth]
adv. (also edgewise) with edge uppermost or foremost. get a word in edgeways contribute to a conversation when the dominant speaker pauses.
adj. - having had an (esp. Good) education.
- resulting from this (educated accent).
- based on experience or study (educated guess).