v. - a make clear or intelligible (also absol.: let me explain). B make known in detail.
- (foll. By that) say by way of explanation.
- account for (one's conduct etc.). explain away minimize the significance of by explanation. Explain oneself 1 make one's meaning clear.
- give an account of one's motives or conduct. [latin explano from planus flat]
v. (-ding) 1 a expand suddenly with a loud noise owing to a release of internal energy. B cause (a bomb etc.) To explode.
- give vent suddenly to emotion, esp. Anger.
- (of a population etc.) Increase suddenly or rapidly.
- show (a theory etc.) To be false or baseless.
- (as exploded adj.) (of a drawing etc.) Showing the components of a mechanism somewhat separated but in the normal relative positions. [latin explodo -plos- hiss off the stage]
—n. Daring feat. —v. - make use of (a resource etc.).
- usu. Derog. Utilize or take advantage of (esp. A person) for one's own ends. exploitation n. Exploitative adj. Exploiter n. [latin: related to *explicate]
v. (-ring) 1 travel through (a country etc.) To learn about it.
- inquire into.
- surgery examine (a part of the body) in detail. exploration n. Exploratory adj. Explorer n. [latin exploro search out]
v. - set out in detail.
- explain or interpret. [latin pono posit- place]
—v. - represent or make known in words or by gestures, conduct, etc.
- refl. Communicate what one thinks, feels, or means.
- esp. Math. Represent by symbols.
- squeeze out (liquid or air).
- send by express service. —adj. - operating at high speed.
- also definitely stated.
- delivered by a specially fast service. —adv. - at high speed.
- by express messenger or train. —n. - express train etc.
- us service for the rapid transport of parcels etc. expressible adj. Expressly adv. (in sense 2 of adj.). [latin exprimo -press- squeeze out]
v. (-ging) erase, remove (objectionable matter) from a book etc. [latin expungo prick out (for deletion)]
adj. - that has died out.
- a no longer burning. B (of a volcano) that no longer erupts.
- obsolete. [latin ex(s)tinguo -stinct- quench]
—v. - remove or take out, esp. By effort or force.
- obtain (money, an admission, etc.) Against a person's will.
- obtain (a natural resource) from the earth.
- select or reproduce for quotation or performance.
- obtain (juice etc.) By pressure, distillation, etc.
- derive (pleasure etc.).
- find (the root of a number). —n. - short passage from a book etc.
- preparation containing a concentrated constituent of a substance (malt extract). [latin traho tract- draw]
unction n. Last rites in the roman catholic and orthodox churches.
- —adj. - of a high, or the highest, degree (extreme danger).
- severe (extreme measures).
- on the far left or right of a political party.
- utmost; last. —n. - (often in pl.) Either of two things as remote or as different as possible.
- thing at either end.
- highest degree.
- math. First or last term of a ratio or series. go to extremes take an extreme course of action. In the extreme to an extreme degree. extremely adv. [french from latin]