One day an unknown youth asked Mozart to explain to him how to start to compose a symphony.
- You are young, - answered Mozart. In the beginning write a ballade, and if you like it, come to me.
- But you! At the age of ten you have composed a lot of music.
- But I did not ask anybody how to do it.
- a write the name of (a person) on a list. B incorporate as a member. C enrol oneself, esp. For a course of study. enrolment n. [french: related to *en-1]
v. (-sues, -sued, -suing) happen later or as a result. [latin sequor follow]
v. - go or come in or into.
- come on stage (also as a direction: enter macbeth).
- penetrate (bullet entered his arm).
- write (name, details, etc.) In a list, book, etc.
- register, record the name of as a competitor (entered for the long jump).
- a become a member of (a society or profession). B enrol in a school etc.
- make known; present for consideration (enter a protest).
- record formally (before a court of law etc.).
- (foll. By into) a engage in (conversation etc.). B subscribe to; bind oneself by (an agreement, contract, etc.). C form part of (a calculation, plan, etc.). D sympathize with (feelings). 10 (foll. By on, upon) a begin; begin to deal with. B assume the functions of (an office) or possession of (property). [latin intra within]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 a going or coming in. B liberty to do this.
- place of entrance; door, gate, etc.
- passage between buildings.
- a item entered in a diary, list, etc. B recording of this.
- a person or thing competing in a race etc. B list of competitors. [romanic: related to *enter]
n. - messenger or representative.
- (in full envoy extraordinary) diplomatic agent ranking below ambassador. [french envoyer send, from latin via way]
n. - period of history etc. Marked by notable events.
- beginning of an era.
- geol. Division of a period, corresponding to a set of strata. epochal adj. [greek, = pause]
adj. Relating to or derived from a compound with one oxygen atom and two carbon atoms bonded in a triangle. [from *epi-, *oxygen]
- resin n. Synthetic thermosetting resin.
salts n. Magnesium sulphate used as a purgative etc. [epsom in s. England]
opportunity n. (often in pl.) Opportunity to compete on equal terms, regardless of sex, race, etc.
- —adj. - (often foll. By to, with) the same in quantity, quality, size, degree, level, etc.
- evenly balanced (an equal contest).
- having the same rights or status (human beings are essentially equal).
- uniform in application or effect. —n. Person or thing equal to another, esp. In rank or quality. —v. (-ll-; us -l-) 1 be equal to.
- achieve something that is equal to. be equal to have the ability or resources for. [latin aequalis]
v. (-pp-) supply with what is needed. [old norse skipa to man a ship]