One evening Sherlock Holmes was going along the street and suddenly saw a man down…
- It’s certain, this gentleman is very tired after work… or he is dead drunk… or he is after being with a woman, … — reflected Holmes. As it’s Sunday today, he can’t be coming back from work… At such a late hour all shops are closed, and he couldn’t buy alcohol. So he is coming back from a woman. But in this remote place there are only two women — Watson’s wife and mine. Consequently, as I’m coming back from Watson’s wife, …
- Watson, rascal, get up!!!
- (often as diminished adj.) Lessen the reputation of (a person); humiliate. law of diminishing returns fact that expenditure etc. Beyond a certain point ceases to produce a proportionate yield. [latin: related to *minute1]
n. - sound of two chimes, esp. As a doorbell.
- colloq. Heated argument or fight. [imitative]
n. - extinct, often enormous, reptile of the mesozoic era.
- unwieldy or unchanging system or organization. [greek deinos terrible, *saurian]
n. - member of a diplomatic service.
- tactful person.
n. Rod for measuring the depth of esp. Oil in a vehicle's engine.
—adv. - a at once; without delay, immediately (directly after lunch). B presently, shortly.
- exactly (directly opposite).
- in a direct manner. —conj. Colloq. As soon as (will tell you directly they come).
n. - person who directs or controls, esp. A member of the board of a company.
- person who directs a film, play, etc. directorial adj. Directorship n.
v. (-sing) (usu. Foll. By of) free from a mistaken idea; disillusion.
v. (-ees, -eed, -eeing) (often foll. By with) 1 hold a different opinion.
- (of factors) not correspond.
- upset (onions disagree with me). disagreement n.