n. - straight line passing through the centre of a circle or sphere to its edges; length of this.
- transverse measurement; width, thickness.
- unit of linear magnifying power. [greek: related to *-meter]
n. Flowering plant of the genus including the carnation. [greek, = flower of zeus]
n. - compass of a voice or musical instrument.
- fixed standard of musical pitch.
- either of two main organ-stops. [greek, = through all (notes)]
n. (esp. Brit. Diarrhoea) condition of excessively frequent and loose bowel movements. [greek rheo flow]
n. - the dispersion of the jews after their exile in 538 bc.
- the dispersed jews. [greek]
n. Enzyme converting starch to sugar. [greek diastasis separation]
adj. Consisting of two atoms.
adj. Mus. (of a scale, interval, etc.) Involving only notes belonging to the prevailing key. [greek: related to *tonic]
n. Forceful verbal attack or criticism; invective. [greek tribo rub]
n. A tranquillizing drug. [benzodiazepine + am]