A porter in a British hotel comes upon an American tourist impatiently jabbing at the button for the lift.
"Sir, the lift will be here in a moment."
"Lift? Lift?" replies the American. "Oh, you mean the elevator."
"No sir, here we call it a lift."
"Well, as it was invented in the United States, it’s called an elevator."
"Yes sir, but as the language was invented here, it’s called a lift."
Crossword puzzle help
List of words beginning with:
v. (-ving) 1 (usu. Foll. By of) prevent from having or enjoying.
- (as deprived adj.) Lacking what is needed for well-being; underprivileged. deprival n. [latin: related to *privation] DERANGE
v. (-ging) 1 make insane.
- disorder, disturb. derangement n. [french: related to *rank1] DERRICK
n. - crane for heavy weights, with a movable pivoted arm.
- framework over an oil well etc., holding the drilling machinery. [derrick, name of a hangman] DERVISH
n. Member of a muslim fraternity vowed to poverty and austerity. [turkish from persian, = poor]
v. (-ling) remove scale from.
—n. - harmonizing treble melody above the basic melody, esp. Of a hymn tune.
- poet. Melody; song. —v. (foll. By on, upon) talk prosily, esp. In praise of. [latin cantus song: related to *chant] DESCEND
v. - go or come down.
- sink, fall. - slope downwards. - (usu. Foll. By on) make a sudden attack or visit. - (of property etc.) Be passed on by inheritance. - a sink in rank, quality, etc. B (foll. By to) stoop to (an unworthy act). be descended from have as an ancestor. descendent adj. [latin scando climb] DESCENT
n. - act or way of descending.
- downward slope. - lineage, family origin. - decline; fall. - sudden attack. DESERVE
v. (-ving) (often foll. By to + infin.) Be worthy of (a reward, punishment, etc.) (deserves a prize). deservedly adv. [latin servio serve]
n. - working surface of a desk.
- (attrib.) (esp. Of a microcomputer) for use on an ordinary desk. - publishing n. Printing with a desktop computer and high-quality printer.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".
Armadillos are the only animal besides humans that can get leprosy.