Once Holmes was visited by the person with a request for help. He was in a worn suit, a shirt with shabby cuffs and an old top head on his head. Holmes refused to help him. When the man left, disappointed Watson jumped on his friend:
- Sherlock, you are a great detective. How could you refuse to help the poor man?
- My dear friend, he was not absolutely poor. It his purse there was 115 pounds and 25 pence.
- But how do you know ?
- It is elementary, Buddy. Let’s count it together.
n. (pl. -s or -ti) composition for solo instrument(s) and orchestra. [italian]
n. - private meeting.
- rc ch. A assembly of cardinals for the election of a pope. B meeting-place for this. [latin clavis key]
v. (-ding) 1 bring or come to an end.
- (often foll. By from or that) infer.
- settle (a treaty etc.). [latin concludo: related to *close1]
—adj. - a existing in a material form; real. B specific, definite (concrete evidence; a concrete proposal).
- gram. (of a noun) denoting a material object as opposed to a quality, state, etc. —n. (often attrib.) Mixture of gravel, sand, cement, and water, used for building. —v. (-ting) cover with or embed in concrete. [latin cresco cret- grow]
v. (-sing) 1 make denser or more concentrated.
- express in fewer words.
- reduce or be reduced from a gas or vapour to a liquid. [latin: related to *dense]
n. Small bits of coloured paper thrown by wedding guests at the bride and groom. [italian]
v. (-ting) blend or fuse together (esp. Two variant texts into one). conflation n. [latin flo flat- blow]
—n. - a state of opposition. B fight, struggle.
- (often foll. By of) clashing of opposed interests etc. —v. Clash; be incompatible. [latin fligo flict- strike]
A dog"s sense of smell is one of the keenest in nature. If a pot of stew was cooking on a stove, a human would smell the stew, while the dog could smell the beef, carrots, peas, potatoes, spices, and all the other individual ingredients in the stew.