—v. - make firm or stable; fasten, secure.
- decide, settle, specify (a price, date, etc.).
- mend, repair.
- implant in the mind.
- a (foll. By on, upon) direct (the eyes etc.) Steadily, set. B attract and hold (the attention, eyes, etc.). C (foll. By with) single out with one's look etc.
- place definitely, establish.
- determine the exact nature, position, etc., of; refer (a thing) to a definite place or time; identify, locate.
- a make (the eyes, features, etc.) Rigid. B (of eyes, features, etc.) Become rigid.
- us colloq. Prepare (food or drink). 10 congeal or become congealed. 11 colloq. Punish, kill, deal with (a person). 12 colloq. A bribe or threaten into supporting. B gain a fraudulent result of (a race etc.). 13 slang inject a narcotic. 14 make (a colour, photographic image, etc.) Fast or permanent. 15 (of a plant etc.) Assimilate (nitrogen or carbon dioxide). —n. - colloq. Dilemma, predicament.
- a finding one's position by bearings etc. B position found in this way.
- slang dose of an addictive drug. be fixed (usu. Foll. By for) colloq. Be situated (regarding) (how is he fixed for money?). Fix on (or upon) choose, decide on. Fix up 1 arrange, organize.
- (often foll. By with) provide (a person) (fixed me up with a job). fixable adj. [latin figo fix-]