A tough old cowboy told his grandson that if he wanted to live a long life, the secret was to sprinkle a little gunpowder on his oatmeal every morning. The grandson did this religiously, and lived to the age of 93.
When he died he left 14 children, 28 grandchildren, 35 great-grandchildren… and a 15-foot hole in the wall of the crematorium.
- combined in higher valence or degree of oxidation (ferric; sulphuric). [latin -icus, greek -ikos]
abbr. Identification, identity (id card).
- contr. - i had.
- i should; i would.
- n. Person's inherited unconscious psychological impulses. [latin, = that]
Abbr. That is to say. [latin id est]
- see *-y2.
—conj. - introducing a conditional clause: a on the condition or supposition that; in the event that (if he comes i will tell him; if you are tired we can rest). B (with past tense) implying that the condition is not fulfilled (if i knew i would say).
- even though (i'll finish it, if it takes me all day).
- whenever (if i am not sure i ask).
- whether (see if you can find it).
- expressing a wish, surprise, or request (if i could just try!; if it isn't my old hat!; if you wouldn't mind?). —n. Condition, supposition (too many ifs about it). if only 1 even if for no other reason than (i'll come if only to see her).
- (often ellipt.) Expression of regret; i wish that (if only i had thought of it). [old english]
prefix assim. Form of *in-1, *in-2 before l.
contr. I am.
- prefix assim. Form of *in-1, *in-2 before b, m, or p.
- absentia adv. In (his, her, or their) absence. [latin]
- extremis adj. - at the point of death.
- in great difficulties; in an emergency. [latin]
- flagrante delicto adv. In the very act of committing an offence. [latin, = in blazing crime]
- loco parentis adv. (acting) for or instead of a parent. [latin]
- memoriam prep. In memory of (a dead person). [latin]
- re prep. = *re1. [latin]
- situ adv. In its proper or original place. [latin]
- symb. Indium.
- toto adv. Completely. [latin]
- vitro adv. (of biological processes) taking place in a test-tube or other laboratory environment. [latin, = in glass]
- —prep. - expressing inclusion or position within limits of space, time, circumstance, etc. (in england; in bed; in 1989; in the rain).
- a within (a certain time) (finished it in two hours).
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) added to: 1 adjectives, meaning ‘not’ (inedible; insane).
- nouns, meaning ‘without, lacking’ (inaction). [latin]
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) in, on, into, towards, within (induce; influx; insight; intrude). [from *in, or from latin in (prep.)]