At a local coffee bar, a young woman was expounding on her idea of the perfect mate to some of her friends.
"The man I marry must be a shining light amongst company. He must be musical. Tell jokes. Sing. And stay home at night!"
An old granny overheard and spoke up, "Honey, if that"s all you want, get a TV!"
- —v. (-pp-) 1 put or lower briefly into liquid etc.; immerse.
- a go below a surface or level. B (of income, activity, etc.) Decline slightly, esp. Briefly.
- slope or extend downwards (road dips).
- go under water and emerge quickly.
- (foll. By into) look cursorily into (a book, subject, etc.).
- a (foll. By into) put a hand, ladle, etc., into (a container) to take something out. B use part of (one's resources) (dipped into our savings).
- lower or be lowered, esp. In salute.
- lower the beam of (headlights) to reduce dazzle.
- colour (a fabric) by immersing it in dye. 10 wash (sheep) in disinfectant. —n. - dipping or being dipped.
- liquid for dipping.
prefix forming nouns, adjectives, and verbs implying: 1 negation or direct opposite (dishonest; discourteous).
- reversal (disengage; disorientate).
- removal of a thing or quality (dismember; disable).
- separation (distinguish).
- completeness or intensification (disgruntled).
- expulsion from (disbar). [french des- or latin dis-]
abbr. Deoxyribonucleic acid, esp. Carrying genetic information in chromosomes.
abbr. Department of the environment.
- n. (pl. Same or -s) female fallow deer, reindeer, hare, or rabbit. [old english]
days n.pl. Hottest period of the year.
- in the manger n. Person who stops others using a thing for which he or she has no use.
- —n. - four-legged flesh-eating animal akin to the fox and wolf, and of many breeds.
- male of this, or of the fox or wolf.
- colloq. A despicable person. B person of a specified kind (lucky dog).
- mechanical device for gripping.
- (in pl.; prec. By the) colloq. Greyhound-racing. —v. (-gg-) follow closely; pursue, track. go to the dogs slang deteriorate, be ruined. Like a dog's dinner colloq. Smartly or flashily (dressed etc.). Not a dog's chance no chance at all. [old english]
abbr. Department of health.
- n. (also do) mus. First note of a major scale. [italian do]
n. Title of some roman catholic dignitaries, and benedictine and carthusian monks. [latin dominus master]