A kindergarten teacher was observing her classroom of children while they drew. She would occasionally walk around to see each child’s artwork.
As she got to one little girl who was working diligently, she asked what her drawing was.
The girl replied, "I’m drawing God."
The teacher paused and said, "But no one knows what God looks like."
Without missing a beat, or looking up from her drawing the girl replied, "They will in a minute."
- —v. (-pp-) 1 put or lower briefly into liquid etc.; immerse.
- a go below a surface or level. B (of income, activity, etc.) Decline slightly, esp. Briefly.
- slope or extend downwards (road dips).
- go under water and emerge quickly.
- (foll. By into) look cursorily into (a book, subject, etc.).
- a (foll. By into) put a hand, ladle, etc., into (a container) to take something out. B use part of (one's resources) (dipped into our savings).
- lower or be lowered, esp. In salute.
- lower the beam of (headlights) to reduce dazzle.
- colour (a fabric) by immersing it in dye. 10 wash (sheep) in disinfectant. —n. - dipping or being dipped.
- liquid for dipping.
prefix forming nouns, adjectives, and verbs implying: 1 negation or direct opposite (dishonest; discourteous).
- reversal (disengage; disorientate).
- removal of a thing or quality (dismember; disable).
- separation (distinguish).
- completeness or intensification (disgruntled).
- expulsion from (disbar). [french des- or latin dis-]
abbr. Deoxyribonucleic acid, esp. Carrying genetic information in chromosomes.
abbr. Department of the environment.
- n. (pl. Same or -s) female fallow deer, reindeer, hare, or rabbit. [old english]
days n.pl. Hottest period of the year.
- in the manger n. Person who stops others using a thing for which he or she has no use.
- —n. - four-legged flesh-eating animal akin to the fox and wolf, and of many breeds.
- male of this, or of the fox or wolf.
- colloq. A despicable person. B person of a specified kind (lucky dog).
- mechanical device for gripping.
- (in pl.; prec. By the) colloq. Greyhound-racing. —v. (-gg-) follow closely; pursue, track. go to the dogs slang deteriorate, be ruined. Like a dog's dinner colloq. Smartly or flashily (dressed etc.). Not a dog's chance no chance at all. [old english]
abbr. Department of health.
- n. (also do) mus. First note of a major scale. [italian do]
n. Title of some roman catholic dignitaries, and benedictine and carthusian monks. [latin dominus master]