"I have good news and bad news," the defense lawyer says to his client.
"Whats the bad news?"
The lawyer says, "Your blood matches the DNA found at the murder scene."
"Dammit!" cries the client. "What"s the good news?"
"Well," the lawyer says, "Your cholesterol is down to 140."
capo adv. Mus. Repeat from the beginning. [italian]
abbr. - (also dc) direct current.
- district of columbia.
- da capo.
abbr. Doctor of divinity.
facto —adv. In fact (whether by right or not). —adj. Existing or so in fact (a de facto ruler). [latin]
- jure —adj. Rightful. —adv. Rightfully; by right. [latin]
- luxe adj. Luxurious; superior; sumptuous. [french, = of luxury]
- novo adv. Starting again; anew. [latin]
- prefix 1 forming verbs and their derivatives: a down, away (descend; deduct). B completely (denude).
- added to verbs and their derivatives to form verbs and nouns implying removal or reversal (de-ice; decentralization). [latin]
- rigueur predic. Adj. Required by fashion or etiquette (drugs were de rigueur). [french]
- trop predic. Adj. Not wanted, in the way. [french, = excessive]
comb. Form two-, double. [greek dis twice]
- prefix = *dis-.
- prefix form of *dia- before a vowel.
abbr. - dinner-jacket.
- disc jockey.
- abbr. Deutschmark.
—v. (3 sing. Pres. Does; past did; past part. Done; pres. Part. Doing) 1 perform, carry out, achieve, complete (work etc.) (did his homework; a lot to do).
- produce, make, provide (doing a painting; we do lunches).
- grant; impart (does you good; do me a favour).
- act, behave, proceed (do as i do; would do well to wait).
- work at (do carpentry; do chemistry).
- be suitable or acceptable; satisfy (will never do; will do me nicely).
- deal with; attend to (do one's hair).
- fare; get on (did badly in the test).
- solve; work out (did the sum). 10 a traverse (a certain distance) (did 50 miles today). B travel at a specified speed (was doing eighty). 11 colloq. Act or behave like; play the part of. 12 produce (a play, opera, etc.) (will do shakespeare). 13 a colloq. Finish (i've done in the garden). B (as done adj.) Be finished (day is done). 14 cook, esp. Completely (do it in the oven; potatoes aren't done). 15 be in progress (what's doing?). 16 colloq. Visit (did the museums). 17 colloq. A (often as done adj.) Exhaust; tire out. B defeat, kill, ruin. 18 (foll. By into) translate or transform. 19 colloq. Cater for (they do one very well here). 20 slang a rob (did a big bank). B swindle. 21 slang prosecute, convict (done for shoplifting). 22 slang undergo (a term of imprisonment). 23 slang take (an illegal drug). —v.aux. - in questions and negative statements or commands (do you understand?; i don't smoke; don't be silly).
- ellipt. Or in place of a verb (you know her better than i do; i wanted to go and i did; tell me, do!).
- for emphasis (i do want to; do tell me; they did go).
- in inversion (rarely does it happen). —n. (pl. Dos or do's) colloq. Elaborate party, operation, etc. be done with see *done. Be nothing to do with 1 be no business of.
- be unconnected with. Be to do with be concerned or connected with. Do away with colloq. - get rid of; abolish.
- kill. Do down colloq. - cheat, swindle.
- overcome. Do for 1 be satisfactory or sufficient for.
- colloq. (esp. As done for adj.) Destroy, ruin, kill.
- colloq. Act as cleaner etc. For. Do in 1 slang a kill. B ruin.
- colloq. Exhaust, tire out. Do justice to see *justice. Do nothing for (or to) colloq. Not flatter or enhance. Do or die persist recklessly. Do out colloq. Clean or redecorate (a room). Do a person out of colloq. Cheat of. Do over 1 slang attack; beat up.
- colloq. Redecorate, refurbish. Do proud see *proud. Dos and don'ts rules of behaviour. Do something for (or to) colloq. Enhance the appearance or quality of. Do up 1 fasten.
- colloq. A refurbish, renovate. B adorn, dress up. Do with (prec. By could) would be glad of; would profit by (could do with a rest). Do without manage without; forgo.