As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife"s voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there"s a car going the wrong way on 280. Please be careful!"
"Heck," said Herman, "It"s not just one car. It"s hundreds of them!"
capo adv. Mus. Repeat from the beginning. [italian]
abbr. - (also dc) direct current.
- district of columbia.
- da capo.
abbr. Doctor of divinity.
facto —adv. In fact (whether by right or not). —adj. Existing or so in fact (a de facto ruler). [latin]
- jure —adj. Rightful. —adv. Rightfully; by right. [latin]
- luxe adj. Luxurious; superior; sumptuous. [french, = of luxury]
- novo adv. Starting again; anew. [latin]
- prefix 1 forming verbs and their derivatives: a down, away (descend; deduct). B completely (denude).
- added to verbs and their derivatives to form verbs and nouns implying removal or reversal (de-ice; decentralization). [latin]
- rigueur predic. Adj. Required by fashion or etiquette (drugs were de rigueur). [french]
- trop predic. Adj. Not wanted, in the way. [french, = excessive]
comb. Form two-, double. [greek dis twice]
- prefix = *dis-.
- prefix form of *dia- before a vowel.
abbr. - dinner-jacket.
- disc jockey.
- abbr. Deutschmark.
—v. (3 sing. Pres. Does; past did; past part. Done; pres. Part. Doing) 1 perform, carry out, achieve, complete (work etc.) (did his homework; a lot to do).
- produce, make, provide (doing a painting; we do lunches).
- grant; impart (does you good; do me a favour).
- act, behave, proceed (do as i do; would do well to wait).
- work at (do carpentry; do chemistry).
- be suitable or acceptable; satisfy (will never do; will do me nicely).
- deal with; attend to (do one's hair).
- fare; get on (did badly in the test).
- solve; work out (did the sum). 10 a traverse (a certain distance) (did 50 miles today). B travel at a specified speed (was doing eighty). 11 colloq. Act or behave like; play the part of. 12 produce (a play, opera, etc.) (will do shakespeare). 13 a colloq. Finish (i've done in the garden). B (as done adj.) Be finished (day is done). 14 cook, esp. Completely (do it in the oven; potatoes aren't done). 15 be in progress (what's doing?). 16 colloq. Visit (did the museums). 17 colloq. A (often as done adj.) Exhaust; tire out. B defeat, kill, ruin. 18 (foll. By into) translate or transform. 19 colloq. Cater for (they do one very well here). 20 slang a rob (did a big bank). B swindle. 21 slang prosecute, convict (done for shoplifting). 22 slang undergo (a term of imprisonment). 23 slang take (an illegal drug). —v.aux. - in questions and negative statements or commands (do you understand?; i don't smoke; don't be silly).
- ellipt. Or in place of a verb (you know her better than i do; i wanted to go and i did; tell me, do!).
- for emphasis (i do want to; do tell me; they did go).
- in inversion (rarely does it happen). —n. (pl. Dos or do's) colloq. Elaborate party, operation, etc. be done with see *done. Be nothing to do with 1 be no business of.
- be unconnected with. Be to do with be concerned or connected with. Do away with colloq. - get rid of; abolish.
- kill. Do down colloq. - cheat, swindle.
- overcome. Do for 1 be satisfactory or sufficient for.
- colloq. (esp. As done for adj.) Destroy, ruin, kill.
- colloq. Act as cleaner etc. For. Do in 1 slang a kill. B ruin.
- colloq. Exhaust, tire out. Do justice to see *justice. Do nothing for (or to) colloq. Not flatter or enhance. Do or die persist recklessly. Do out colloq. Clean or redecorate (a room). Do a person out of colloq. Cheat of. Do over 1 slang attack; beat up.
- colloq. Redecorate, refurbish. Do proud see *proud. Dos and don'ts rules of behaviour. Do something for (or to) colloq. Enhance the appearance or quality of. Do up 1 fasten.
- colloq. A refurbish, renovate. B adorn, dress up. Do with (prec. By could) would be glad of; would profit by (could do with a rest). Do without manage without; forgo.
Crocodiles and alligators are surprisingly fast on land. Although they are rapid, they are not agile; so if you ever find yourself chased by one, run in a zigzag line. You"ll lose him or her every time.